Harmony Hill Dairy House
In 1796, Lytle established our town and selected 500 acres of prime property for his home. He named his homestead site “Harmony Hill”, and there, in 1800, John Charles developed Lytle’s home, dairy house and land workplace. From the porch of his home he could examine the East Fork valley and see travelers on the Dela Palma Road (the primary route to the Ohio State capitol in Chillicothe). He was a property surveyor, and he sold thousands of acres of land from this historic site. He likewise served as the County’s first Post Master and Clerk of Courts. Williamsburg Ohio Information.
A decision was made after the Williamsburg Bicentennial Celebration in 1996, to form a committee called the Harmony Hill Association. This committee, consisting of Lucy Snell, Marty MacVeigh, Izella Cadwallader and James Lefferson, were to check out obtaining and bring back the dairy house, the only initial building left. In 1997, they were able, with the help of others in the neighborhood, to raise $115,000 to purchase the Harmony Hill property and move forward with the restoration. The historical and architectural significance of the dairy home was acknowledged when it was noted in 2001 on the National Register of Historic Sites.
There are many interesting products on display screen relating to Lytle and Williamsburg. The Clermont County Historical Society also has a workplace and museum in the structure.
The Association sponsors “History Week” each year in April for Williamsburg Elementary School 4th grade trainees. Throughout the week, visitor speakers go into the school and talk with the students about regional, county and state history. Harmony Hill will also be included on numerous Underground Railroad trips throughout the coming year.
The stone dairy house, integrated in the early 1800’s, is thought to be the oldest standing structure in Clermont County. The Lytle Dairy House can be checked out whenever. The Harmony Hill Historical Museum functions display screens of historic artifacts and uses an extensive research study archive of Clermont County history. The Harmony Hill Museum highlights the history of Williamsburg and Major General William Lytle, the “Father of Clermont County.” The museum is open to the general public on the very first Saturday every month (all year) and during special occasions or by consultation just.