The Jefferson Schoolhouse is a historical one-room school in the Village of Indian Hill, Ohio, United States. 3 early schools, known as the Franklin, Jefferson, and Washington Schools, were established within the bounds of the modern-day neighborhood, however just the Jefferson School remains to the present day. Indian Hill Ohio Information.
|Location||Indian Hill and Drake Rds., Indian Hill, Ohio|
|Area||Less than 1 acre (0.40 ha)|
|NRHP reference #||76001450|
|Added to NRHP||March 17, 1976|
Having become a two-room school, it was no longer utilized by all eight grades of students together: grades one through four met in one space, and grades five through eight in the other. As the area continued to grow, the 2 spaces once again ended up being too small, and another addition was built in 1926 that again doubled the building’s size. In spite of this expansion, the 1940s saw the old Jefferson Schoolhouse become superfluous for instructional purposes; as an outcome, it was closed and converted into a neighborhood center for the area.
After some years as the Armstrong Community Building, the previous Jefferson Schoolhouse was bought by the Armstrong Chapel United Methodist Church, whose original church structure lies throughout Drake Road from the school. In 1976, the old school was listed on the National Register of Historic Places, one year after Armstrong Chapel got a comparable difference. It received inclusion on the Register both because of its substantial location in local history and because of its unspoiled historic architecture. The school is among 5 Indian Hill places on the Register, along with Armstrong Chapel, the Elliott House, the Gordon E. Pape House, and the Washington Heights School.