Old Armstrong Chapel
Armstrong Chapel United Methodist Church is a historic church in the city of Indian Hill, Ohio, United States. It was designated a historic site in 1975. Indian Hill Ohio Information.
|Location||5125 Drake Rd.|
|Nearest city||Indian Hill, Ohio|
|Area||Less than 1 acre (0.40 ha)|
|NRHP reference #||75001432|
|Added to NRHP||December 4, 1975|
Nathanial and Hannah Armstrong, formerly residents of Virginia, showed up in southwestern Ohio in 1800; they soon developed a log cabin and gristmill on their land and started farming. By this time, occasional circuit-riding ministers of the Methodist Church were going to the area, however the inhabitants worshipped in each others’ houses since there were no church structures close by. As this situation continued for decades, in 1830 Armstrong donated one of the best pieces of his land for the construction of a church and cemetery.
The surrounding cemetery had currently been established; its very first burial was Hannah Armstrong, who had passed away 4 years before the church’s conclusion in the fall of 1831. Nathanial Armstrong offered that the church be made available for the use of whichever denomination had the greatest number of members in the area. Both at that time and at all times since, the church has actually been used by Methodists.
In late 1975, Armstrong Chapel was noted on the National Register of Historic Places by the name of “United Methodist Church.” It is one of 5 sites in Indian Hill that is listed on the National Register, in addition to the Elliott House, the Jefferson Schoolhouse, the Gordon E. Pape House, and the Washington Heights School. Armstrong got approved for addition on the Register because of its place in local history, because of its connection to locally prominent specific Nathanial Armstrong, and because of its well-preserved historic architecture. The historic site designation incorporated the Armstrong cemetery, along with the church structure.  Today, Armstrong Chapel continues as an active churchgoers of the United Methodist Church. As the congregation grew in the early twenty-first century, a brand-new building was deemed required; a groundbreaking ceremony was held at the end of August 2009, and the new structure was substantially finished in October of the list below year.