The Elliott House
Constructed in 1802, this farmhouse when served as the hub of a commercial operation, and since that time it has actually been named a historic site. Indian Hill Ohio Information.
|Location||9352 Given Rd., Indian Hill, Ohio|
|Area||0 acres (0 ha)|
|NRHP reference #||76001451|
|Added to NRHP||October 29, 1976|
Locals of Ireland, John and Mary Elliott left Londonderry for the United States in 1784 and quickly settled along the Little Miami River in present-day northeastern Hamilton County, Nearly twenty years later on, they built the core of the present structure as a farmhouse; developed of stone, it consisted of an easy rectangle-shaped floor plan with chimneys on each end. Right after the initial portion was completed, the Elliotts included a wing to the southwestern corner of the original house. Later modifications included enclosure of the rear porch, replacement of the tiny initial front porch with a far larger structure, and building of a hallway to serve the rear addition.
Having finished his house, Elliott continued to build a commercial complex on his property. Utilizing these facilities, Elliott started to engage in service at terrific ranges; many of his products were offered in New Orleans after transportation down the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers.
In 1898, the property was bought by a family named Sterrett, who inhabited it for more than twenty years; after they offered it to Henry Livingston in 1920, he donated it to a Jewish social firm, which maintained a summer season camp around your home into the 1960s. In 1967, the village of Indian Hill purchased the land; for several years, it was used as an instructional center for schoolchildren,  and in 1976, the Elliott House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It qualified for addition on the Register because of its place in local history, for it is one of the oldest houses in the Miami Purchase, and also because of its unspoiled historic architecture. Quickly later, a widescale restoration effort happened: all current additions were gotten rid of, the original elements were restored, and the surrounding property was archaeologically investigated. Financial resources showed inadequate for more substantial renovations, however your house remained in a condition sufficient for profession, and Indian Hill offered it to private owners in 1985.
The Elliott House is among five sites in Indian Hill that is listed on the National Register, along with the Jefferson Schoolhouse, the Gordon E. Pape House, the Methodist church, and the Washington Heights School.